Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Veggies Out My Ears

Okay, so, as earlier posted, we joined the Be Wise Ranch CSA (which I've been wanting to do, and was even on a waiting list to get added to the drop-off spot I wanted) and we picked up the first box (!) on July 4th. We got a veritable truckload of veggies and fruits: a melon, grapes, blueberries, a head of cabbage, two heads of lettuce, bok choy, kale, two cucumbers, two zucchini, and a bag of flat leaf parsley. OMG!

Tonight I will cook the kale into a soup, the good lord willing. I don't think I have ever cooked kale - maybe once. So, I'm really pushing the outer limits of my creative cooking abilities. I usually make recipes up, throwing in this and that, and it usually turns out great (my Mom was the queen of this - she was a great cook). We shall see tonight! And then? Well, there's that bok choy. Stir fry anyone? I hope I can keep up with the onslaught of vegetables! Ha! I may have to check with B., the man of the Foziewisp house, and see what the heck he does with it all (B. and Sherri are members)!? I must also remind myself that this is a good move toward better eating! My mantra. :-)

On another random note, I just read Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich and wow, what a read. Some of us may see the folks who do the hard work in our society, but the book points out hardships that most of us don't know about because it goes on behind the scenes. It's a real eye-opener, and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone to read. You'll be a little more conscious as that woman cleans up around your table at a restaurant (and you notice she has s tip jar sitting there) or you see someone coming out of hotel room that they just cleaned. Many of these folks have two jobs, sometimes three, and live in motels because they simply cannot get together first and last for the cheapest dwelling. And the motel rooms are usually shared with other workers.

I am such a lucky person. This book was a good reminder that my picayune complaints ain't nothin' compared to these folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment