Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sunday Wandering

On Sunday, I did some exploring in La Jolla. I have two favorite haunts that are next door to each other: Pannikin for coffee, and D.G. Wills for books. Every St. Patty's day D.G. Wills hosts a little gathering with Irish poetry reading and, of course, beer. Very cool. They've had quite a few famous writers do readings there (if you click on the link, you can see some photos of past events). The store is so classic and cozy and the selection is wonderful.

I hit two other faves, just up the street -- Warwicks for stationery/books/office supplies and Burns Drug Store for every obscrure European bath product you could want, like: Fa and Kneipp.

I also happened into two really great antique stores that were like browsing a nice, big, clean estate sale full of things you want. I ended up getting this pitcher, which I really love -- it's Chinese, but not 'made in China' Chinese. I don't think it's very old; the fellow at the store said it's "of a certain age." Ha. I thought that was very diplomatic. It's in the living room now, so I walk past it a million times a day and it catches my eye over and over. I love it!!!!



I also got this great Ralph Lauren king size duvet with a great tiny red and white stripe. It was in a stack of quilts. It's a good time to gets deals on things. Store owners, especially little specialty shops, are very slow, so they are offering their rock bottom price. I (heart) this duvet!






















This is an entryway to an antique shop that was closed. So pretty and shady. I was in the quieter, less-commercial part of La Jolla. Lots of nooks and crannies along the street:






And, the Cow Parade exhibit is here. Here are a few I saw . . . The Cow Parade is the largest, most successful public art event in the world. Since 1999, it's been in over 50 cities worldwide, including New York, Tokyo, and Paris. It has raised over $20 million for charitable organizations through the auction of the cows, which takes place at the conclusion of each event. Moooo!




4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect Sunday. I really like that duvet...but say it like OhmygoshIlovethat. That's how I would say it out loud.
    And I noticed your new profile picture--you are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antique shops are so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to wander...I love to do it when I'm in a strange city; I should do it more often at home! And yes, a lovely duvet cover...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Robin,

    I actually left you such a cute, and quite long post earlier today, but somehow it didn't go through, I was bummed. I basically said that I adore those cows, and would have loved to come bargain shopping with you, and after we could have gone for lattes. Anyhoo, I hope this one sticks!!

    P.S. Love the duvet cover.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment